This Christmas season, the Sunday School at First Church, Austin, will again have the opportunity to exemplify “the self-forgetful heart that overflows; the veiled form stealing on an errand of mercy, out of a side door.” (Miscellaneous Writings, p. 250). We will be sponsoring families from SafePlace this season, to ensure needs are met and Christly love is felt. SafePlace is an organization providing safety for families affected by domestic violence and abuse.
Our Sunday School classes will be studying the idea of spiritual giving this season to coincide with the project.
Starting Thanksgiving Day, angels will be strung from a garland in the hallway at First Church. Each angel will contain information to help you shop for individuals living in SafePlace transitional housing or whom they serve through its counseling program.
Come to our Thanksgiving Service, or any church service thereafter but before December 14, to select your angel:
- Select an angel(s) and untie it from the garland.
- Look for the angel number(s) on the posted checklist, and print your name next to that number.
- Shop for that person (suggested spend is $25-$50 per angel).
- Bring your unwrapped gift, with the angel taped to it, to the Sunday School for storage.
- Come to our gift wrapping party on Dec. 14 after church services to help wrap presents.
Join us in sharing the joy of giving!